Working with Primary Schools
We work very closely with primary schools, particularly our Catholic feeder schools. We feel that the more opportunities children have to get to know us, the more comfortable they will feel about entering a new phase of their education.
Below is a short summary of some of the things we do as part of our transition programme:
- Primary School Roadshows – these give pupils the chance to meet St George staff and ask them questions; from what lessons are taught to what food is like at lunchtimes (a very popular question!)
- Open Evening - each year we open the school one evening in October for parents and pupils who would like to have a look around, see all of our facilities and meet our staff.
- Year 6 Induction Visits - We aim to meet all Year 6 children who have secured a placed at St George in the summer term - this may be by visiting them in their primary school or inviting them in to St George
- Year 6 Induction Day - All Year 6 pupils who have secured a place at St George are invited to visit us in July to meet their tutor group and tutor, and sample lessons at the college.
- Year 6 Parental Information Evening – Parents have the opportunity to meet college staff as well as their child’s tutor on this evening, and all parents are given an important information pack about joining us.
- Nurture Groups - Students who might need a little more care and attention in their transition are invited in to school for Nurture Group sessions, which are small group sessions where they can meet other Year 6s on a smaller scale.
- Year 5 'Taster Day' – This event is open to Year 5 students at our six feeder Catholic primary schools, giving them the chance to experience a fun day at secondary school before they decide on their secondary school preference.