Working with Primary Schools
We work very closely with primary schools, particularly our Catholic feeder schools. We feel that the longer the time children spend with us, the more comfortable they will feel about meeting new people and entering a new phase of their education. It is common for us to therefore work with Years 3 upwards at primary schools, with a large amount of time being spent with Years 5 and 6.
Below is a short summary of some of the things we do as part of our transition programme:
- Primary School Roadshows – these give pupils the chance to meet current St George students and ask them questions; from what lessons are taught to what food is like at lunchtimes (a very popular question!)
- Open Evening - each year we open the school one evening in October for parents and pupils who would like to have a look around, see all of our facilities and meet our staff.
- Open Morning – we also hold Open Mornings, allowing families to visit the college on a regular working day.
- Year 6 End of Year Celebration - we hold a celebratory Mass and “It’s A Knockout” tournament for our Catholic feeder schools every summer.
- Year 6 Induction Visits - Each Year 6 child who has secured a placed at St George is either visited in the summer term by transition staff, or invited in to our college, to talk about what things they are looking forward to and what they might be nervous about
- Nurture Groups - Students who might need a little more care and attention in their transition (for example, those who might be the only child coming from their primary school) are invited in to school for Nurture Group sessions, which are small group sessions where they can meet other Year 6s on a smaller scale
- Year 6 Induction Day - All Year 6 pupils who have secured a place at St George are invited to visit us in July to meet their tutor group and tutor, and sample lessons at the college.
- Year 6 Parental Information Evening – Parents have the opportunity to meet college staff as well as their child’s tutor on this evening, and all parents are given an important information pack about joining us.
- Year 5 'Taster Day' – This event is open to Year 5 students at our six feeder Catholic primary schools, giving them the chance to experience a day at secondary school before they decide on their secondary school preference.