Joining St George in Year 7
St George Catholic College has a very strong community spirit and is a warm and welcoming place to be
St George has an excellent reputation for its transition arrangements and every effort is made to welcome all our new boys and girls in to Year 7. We recognise that the move from primary to secondary school can be a nervous experience, both for parents and students, and we therefore tailor our transition programme to suit individual needs. Gradually we hope to transform nervousness into excitement! Below you will find some detailed information on how we help Year 7s settle in at the college.
Working with Primary Schools
We work very closely with primary schools, particularly our Catholic feeder schools. We feel that the longer the time children spend with us, the more comfortable they will feel about meeting new people and entering a new phase of their education. It is common for us to therefore work with Years 3 upwards at primary schools, with a large amount of time being spent with Years 5 and 6.
Below is a short summary of some of the things we do as part of our transition programme:
- Primary School Roadshows – these give pupils the chance to meet current St George students and ask them questions; from what lessons are taught to what food is like at lunchtimes (a very popular question!)
- Primary School Teaching – a number of our staff teach regularly at our feeder schools, further strengthening links between the schools
- Open Evening - each year we open the school for parents and pupils who would like to have a look around, see all of our facilities and meet our staff. We will hold an Open Evening on THURSDAY 3rd OCTOBER 2019 from 6pm
- Open Morning – we also hold Open Mornings, allowing families to visit the college on a regular working day. We will hold Open Mornings on THURSDAY 3rd OCTOBER 2019, 9AM-10.30AM and THURSDAY 10th OCTOBER 2019 9AM-10.30AM. Please telephone 02380 322603 to book a tour if you would like to visit at one of these times
- Year 6 End of Year Celebration - we hold a celebratory Mass and “It’s A Knockout” tournament for our Catholic feeder schools every summer. This academic year, our celebration takes place on THURSDAY 27TH JUNE 2019
- Year 6 Induction Visits - Each Year 6 child who has secured a placed at St George is either visited in the summer term by transition staff, or invited in to our college, to talk about what things they are looking forward to and what they might be nervous about
- Nurture Groups - Students who might need a little more care and attention in their transition (for example, those who might be the only child coming from their primary school) are invited in to school for Nurture Group sessions, which are small group sessions where they can meet other Year 6s on a smaller scale
- Year 6 Induction Day - All Year 6 pupils who have secured a place at St George are invited to visit us in July to meet their tutor group and tutor, and sample lessons at the college. This year Induction Day is on WEDNESDAY 3RD JULY 2019
- Year 6 Parental Information Evening – Parents have the opportunity to meet college staff as well as their child’s tutor on this evening, and all parents are given an important information pack about joining us. This year, this event is on the evening of WEDNESDAY 3RD JULY 2019 from 6PM
- Year 5 'Taster Day' – This event is open to Year 5 students at our feeder Catholic primary schools, giving them the chance to experience a day at secondary school before they decide on their secondary school preference. This year it will be on WEDNESDAY 26TH JUNE 2019
- Admissions Information Evening – This is held in the Summer Term for any parent interested in securing a place for their child at St George. It is in addition to the Open Evening, which takes place in the Autumn Term. This year, the evening is being held on WEDNESDAY 26TH JUNE 2019, from 6pm, following the Year 5 Taster Day.
Year 7: Securing a successful Transition
Once your child has joined St George, work still continues to ensure transition is as smooth as possible.
- Year 7 Only day - The first day of the new term is on TUESDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER 2019 and students should arrive from 9:30am for a 10am start (reserved for Year 7 students only). They spend the day with their tutor and tutor group getting to know each other. All staff are available and support is also provided by the college prefects and peer mentors who ‘buddy up’ with each tutor group
- Team Building Trip – All Year 7s are taken on a Team Building Trip with all their tutors to help them bond.
- Year 7 Welcome Mass - The Mass is a tradition at St George whereby we welcome students and their families to the college.
- Year 7 Settling-in Evening – This is for Year 7 students and their parents only. We offer parents the opportunity to meet their child’s tutor and review how they have settled in during their first half term.
- Mentoring Day – Three times a year, parents are invited into the college to meet their child’s tutor on Mentoring Days, where they can review their child’s progress.
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening – This provides parents the opportunity to meet their child’s individual subject teachers.
- Year 7 Camp – This is a three night residential at Ferny Crofts in the New Forest, where Year 7 students take part in a programme of team building and fun activities to cap off their first year at St George. This year it is from TUESDAY 2ND JULY – FRIDAY 5TH JULY 2019
Additionally, specialist support is available for those who might need it and these programmes can be offered in consultation with staff and parents:
- Nurture Group - This is small group for those who might need more support with the change from primary to secondary school
- Friendship Groups – To develop and support new friendships
- ELSA Support – 1:1 sessions for those who need a little extra support to settle in
You can always email email@example.com for more information.