Securing a Successful Transition
Once your child has joined St George, work still continues to ensure transition is as smooth as possible.
- Year 7 Only day - The first day of the new term is on MONDAY 6th SEPTEMBER 2021 (reserved for Year 7 students only). They spend the day with their tutor and tutor group getting to know each other. All staff are available and support is also provided by the college prefects and peer mentors who ‘buddy up’ with each tutor group
- Team Building Trip – All Year 7s are taken on a Team Building Trip with all their tutors to help them bond.
- Year 7 Welcome Mass - The Mass is a tradition at St George whereby we welcome students and their families to the college.
- Year 7 Settling-in Evening – This is for Year 7 students and their parents only. We offer parents the opportunity to meet their child’s tutor and review how they have settled in during their first half term.
- Mentoring Day – Three times a year, parents are invited into the college to meet their child’s tutor on Mentoring Days, where they can review their child’s progress.
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening – This provides parents the opportunity to meet their child’s individual subject teachers.
- Year 7 Camp – This is a three night residential at Ferny Crofts in the New Forest, where Year 7 students take part in a programme of team building and fun activities to cap off their first year at St George.
Additionally, specialist support is available for those who might need it and these programmes can be offered in consultation with staff and parents:
- Nurture Group - This is small group for those who might need more support with the change from primary to secondary school
- Friendship Groups – To develop and support new friendships
- ELSA Support – 1:1 sessions for those who need a little extra support to settle in
You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.