Site Operations Manager
As Site Operations Manager you will be joining a successful team, maintaining and supporting the facilities of one of Southampton's most successful secondary schools.
Site Operations Manager
Grade: 7 – to include shift allowance
Hours: 37 hours x 52 weeks
Hours may be extended by mutual agreement to take account of the changing needs of the college and may include weekends.
Holidays to be taken in college closure period but not at the same time as the Assistant Site Manager.
Responsible to: School Business Manager
Overall Function: To be responsible for the security, safety and maintenance of the college site and buildiings.
The person appointed will need to be able to work on his/her own initiative, have an extensive level of DIY/handyperson skills, be flexible and adaptable and hold a full driving licence. Able to drive D1 vehicles is desirable.
The ability to relate to children, staff and the public with tolerance and patience is essential and maintaining good personal relationships and a co-operative team spirit is also required.
The Site Manager will be required to respect the confidentiality of information concerning children, families, staff and college matters of which he/she may become aware during the course of his/her duties.
Children must be treated with the same courtesy as will be expected from them but may be verbally admonished in a firm but polite manner if necessary. They must not be physically touched in any way.
The Site Manager will be required to take annual leave during the college holiday period but not at the same time as the Assistant Site Manager.
- To regularly inspect and assess the college site to identify tasks and urgent requirements.
- To keep a log of maintenance requests completed.
- To carry out or arrange for major and minor improvements to buildings and to inspect the quality of subsequent work.
- To create and maintain a safe environment, ensuring that health and safety regulations and safe working procedures are adhered to and Risk Assessments, H&S inspections are carried out at appropriate intervals.
- Update the Southampton City Council Information Exchange Data Base.
- To check and maintain the fire alarm and ensure that fire doors are opening correctly.
- To direct the daily operations of the site support team, including varying hours to support after college events which allow for cover during the whole period.
- Managing the operation of the school minibuses.
- To arrange a rolling programme of internal decoration, to prepare for the Head of School an annual plan of maintenance work with estimated costs and agreed priorities, and to check all works are completed satisfactorily.
- Under the general direction of the Head of School, the Site Manager will be required to undertake the following duties and any duties that may reasonably be allocated by the Head of School from time to time.
- To set the shift patterns shown at the end of this job specification between yourself and the Assistant Site Manager with the approval of the line manager.
Daily Tasks at Appropriate Times
- Undertake, or direct others to undertake, minor running repairs within your level of competence.
- Unlock gates and doors, switch off burglar alarm, switch on water heaters etc as appropriate if Assistant Site Manager is unavailable.
- Check the building for break-ins, vandalism or damage and for the proper functioning of the main utilities, and to action any necessary repairs.
- Check the operation of the heating systems.
- Carry out or organise any agreed furniture movements.
- To organise the cleaning of those areas set aside for the Site Manager and to supervise and lead a team of cleaners to achieve a high-quality standard of cleanliness through the college buildings.
- To ensure that the grounds maintenance contract with the City Council is carried out to your satisfaction.
- To ensure that the college environment is kept in a good orderly fashion including organising the collection of litter TWICE a day.
- Meet on a regular basis with the Senior Manager acting as your Line Manager.
- Ensure that lights, water heaters, gas and electrical appliances are switched off and unplugged as appropriate to assist in minimising energy usage.
- Ensure that windows and doors are secured allowing for evening activities where necessary.
- Prepare for and monitor evening activities as arranged.
- Set the burglar alarm and secure the site if substituting for the shift caretaker.
Weekly Tasks at Appropriate Times
- Undertake handyperson repairs and minor improvements within your level of competence.
- Ensure that fluorescent tubes, starters and light bulbs are checked and replaced as required.
- Ensure that external drains and gullies are kept clear at all times.
- Check the operation of the fire alarm as per the prepared schedule; check that fire doors are operating freely; ensure that the annual fire check is undertaken and completed successfully.
- Meet with the Line Manager to arrange schedules and priorities and report progress.
- Meet with your Assistant Site Manager and your site team to ensure work is carried out and all site staff are regularly informed about day to day events.
- To prepare areas for school-related functions and activities, moving and setting up furniture and equipment as required.
- Complete weekly maintenance on the all-weather pitch. This includes using the equipment and sweeping it once/twice a week.
- To undertake basic inspections of the college’s fleet of vehicles, refuelling and cleaning checking tyre pressures etc. To organise or supervise general maintenance.
- To check and maintain all classroom clocks as well as the college bells.
Management and Supervisory Tasks
- To regularly review the performance of your team via one to one interviews and quality control checking.
- To identify training needs as appropriate.
- To identify strengths and weaknesses of personnel as appropriate.
- To alert senior management (through Line Manager) of any Health and Safety, competency or disciplinary issues.
- To work with the School Business Manager to manage and monitor the repairs and maintenance budget.
Periodic Tasks carried out as needed or directed
- Undertake, or arrange for handyperson, projected improvement within your level of competence.
- Attend to and clear up any emergency occurring whilst on duty including spillages, floods and vomit, etc.
- Organise areas for school related activities and functions, moving furniture etc as needed.
- Enable access of and liaise with authorised contractors.
- Respond to any call out from emergency services as principal (but not solely) key holder.
- When necessary organise any emergency repairs to secure the building.
- Maintain and operate the heating system and utilities, arranging for maintenance contractors to be called to malfunctions and informing the Head of School and School Business Manager.
- To prepare and present a report on site management/buildings issues to the relevant governing body committee as and when directed by the Head of School.
- Ensure snow and ice are cleared from and apply rock salt to external paths as needed.
- Organise the movement of goods as required after delivery, assisting with unloading heavy items when on site.
The Site Operations Manager will be required to take responsibility for out of hours lettings in the evenings and ensure that the school site is supervised by the Site Manager, the Assistant Site Manager or the Lettings Supervisor at the weekend only. This includes ensuring the site is open for use for lettings and then locked up securely at the end of the letting.
Health and Safety
In carrying out the above tasks, the Site Manager will be expected to create and maintain a safe environment by ensuring that Health and Safety regulations and agreed codes of practice for SCC employees are adhered to.
Conditions of Service
There will be two shifts which will be shared between yourself and the Assistant Site Manager.
Shift 1: 6:15am – 2:15pm Monday – Thursday
6:30am – 2pm Friday
Shift 2: 2:15pm – 10:15pm Monday – Thursday
1:30pm – 9.00pm Friday
This can be subject to change with notice.
Half hour break to be taken mid-shift.
Shift times can be revised during the holiday period and notification of time changes will be given in advance with agreement of the Line Manager.
You will be required to amend hours whilst the other member of the site operations team is on leave or if lettings require flexibility.
Supporting the school
At an appropriate level, according to the job role, grade and training received, all employees in the school are expected to:
- Support the aims, values, missions and ethos of the school and participate in a team approach to all aspects of school life.
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings and INSET days as required, and identify areas of personal practice and experience to develop.
- Take appropriate responsibility for safeguarding and children’s welfare and be aware of confidential issues linked to home/child/teacher/school and keep confidences appropriately.
- Be aware of health and safety issues and act in accordance with the school’s Health & Safety Policy.
Any other duties which reasonably fall within the purview of the post, which may be allocated by the Head of School after consultation with the postholder.
To apply for this position please fill out the relevant application forms and return to Mrs Jeanine Bonavia, PA to the Head of School, by the deadline below. If you have any questions or require more information please do not hesitate to contact us through Mrs Jeanine Bonavia.
St George Catholic College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any appointment is subject to an enhanced DBS Check. The Governing Body is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 26th February 2019
Interviews: Week ending 1st March 2019