We are now looking for a Science Technician to join our successful science team in September.
Dates: Job start September 2022
Salary: Grade 6 (FTE £22,759 - £24,920)
Contract type: 37 hours per week - Term time only
St George Catholic College is an oversubscribed school with a proven track record of continued success. It is currently ranked in the top 5% of schools nationally for progress. The college is rated by Ofsted as ‘Good’ (2021) with the potential to be graded outstanding at its next inspection. It has been graded ‘Outstanding’ across all areas for the last four Local Authority inspections. It is a college that has a commitment to knowing every student and ensuring they fulfil their potential. We currently have a vacancy for a Science Technician for September 2022.
The science department is a highly successful department that plays a key role in the College’s achievement and consists of 7 full time specialists, teaching assistant and its own purpose built block which opened in January 2021. Last year 83% of students achieved a Grade 4 (Standard pass) and above, 59% achieved a Grade 5 (Strong Pass) and above and 23% achieved a Grade 7 and above, which is significantly above the national average. We promote a positive catholic ethos but there is no requirement to be Catholic to apply.
Under the overall control of the Head of Science to coordinate the use of practical resources and facilities and provide assistance and advice in meeting the practical needs of the science curriculum, including liaising with teaching staff and support staff outside the dept.
- To ensure the maintenance of a healthy and safe working environment through:
- Actively contributing to the assessment, monitoring and review of both health and safety procedures and information resources
- Keeping up to date with current procedures and practices through continuing professional development
- The provision of technical advice and support on health & safety issues to teaching and trainee technical staff.
- The safe treatment and disposal of used materials including hazardous substances and responding to actual or potential hazards
- The healthy and safe storage and accessibility of equipment and materials.
- To assist the Head of Dept with the day-to-day organisation and development of trainee staff to ensure that essential performance standards are achieved.
- To contribute to the design, development and maintenance of specialist resources and/or long term projects.
- To support the head of department in ensuring the availability of suitable materials and equipment, helping to compile orders and liaising or negotiating with suppliers and finance departments. This will include sourcing, costing and suggesting economic alternatives to maintain stock levels. Keeping up to date records of stock
- Under the guidance of the head of department to ensure that both routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment are carried out to the required standard.
For further details of this exciting opportunity, please fill out the relevant application forms in the vacancies section opposite and return to Mrs Jeanine Bonavia PA to the Headteacher at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline below.
Visits to the college are highly encouraged, and can be arranged by contacting Ms Claire Weaver, Head of Science, at email@example.com or if you have any questions or queries.
Closing date for applications: 15th July 2022 at 9am
Interview date: TBC
‘Please note, we reserve the right to close vacancies early if we receive applications which meet the criteria’
St George Catholic College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any appointment is subject to an enhanced DBS Check. The Governing Body is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mr James Habberley
St George Catholic College
Tel: 023 8032 2603